The #1 question I consistently get is about my hair - its asked almost daily on my Instagram. I have TONS of blog posts about my hair - favorite items, how to do certain hairstyles, how to get certain curls, etc. but I wanted to quickly round up my go-to routine for the past few months. Today I’ll just answer the main questions I get that are pretty basic...
#1. What Shampoo & Conditioner Do You Use?
I have 3 that I rotate through... so when one bottle runs out, I switch to the next in the rotation.
1) Last fall & winter I only used THIS Shampoo & THIS Conditioner. (This is a brand I LOVE.. they send me their products in PR packages because I’ve linked them so much and I think their brand is one of the best all round.)2
2)In the spring when that ran out, I switched to THIS shampoo & THIS conditioner. This stuff is pricy... but I really like it. The downside is that it doesn’t last too long...
3)Currently I am using THIS shampoo and THIS conditioner. When it runs out I’ll switch back to the first ones I mentioned.
I recommend switching around and not using the same shampoo all year round or it won’t be as effective.
#2. What Products Do You Use To Grow Your Hair
I’ve only ever had longer hair - I tried short hair and boy, it was NOT cute on me! Totally not for my face. I love long hair but I also don’t like when I see long hair that is stringy on the ends so I keep mine at the same length pretty much. I use THIS spray when my hair is wet to prevent breakage & I use this oil before I blow dry and after I blow dry... and finally I use THIS heat protectant. Using a heat protectant is KEY. I dry and curl my hair so I have to really take care of it so it doesn’t break off.
I also take chewable Biotin from Target.
#3. What Curling Iron or Wand Do You Use?
I love THIS curling iron. It’s my go-to... I like the wand also and have it in a few sizes but the curling iron gives me the curls you see in all of my photos. I use the 1” to get my daily curl.
#4. Tips For Growing out Hair
Aside from what I mentioned in #2... I have a few things I do..
1) Don’t use a blow dryer if you don’t have to..
2) Wash your hair less.
3) Do not curl you hair if you don’t have to..
4) Use a mask!! I love THIS one. I use it 1-2x per week. Moisturize those ends!!!
5) Invest in your hair. Don’t use cheap products.
6) Don’t wear your hair in a pony tail too much. I only use scrunchies - unless I’m actually wanting to style my hair in a cute pony. I like THESE silk ones best. You will break your hair and wear it down if you use a ponytail too much!
#5. How Do You Make Your Curls Stay?
1) Using a good heat protectant will lock in your curls. (invest in a good one)
2) Find a hairspray you like. I only use THIS one.
3) Sleep with your hair in a loose bun w/a scrunchy. (do not make it tight or it will crease!)
4) Get THIS pillowcase. I have THREE of these bc they are essentials for me. They are game changers!
5) My curling iron is why mine last so long I think... it gets very hot and the curls last for days.
#6. How Do You Get Volume?
This is a good question because there are a few things I have to do to keep volume...
1) My hair is very thick so I cut really short layers into it. Not only does this give me volume but it makes my hair less heavy and makes the curls bouncier. The shorter layers on top are not weighed down so when I tease my crown, it stays teased. I have to get my layers trimmed almost every 4-6 weeks!!! My layers grow so quickly. I know when I see that I’m losing volume that my top layers are too long.
Also, try volumizing sprays! THIS one is pricy but WORTH the money. Smells like a million dollars and gives your hair body and life! Also, I always travel with THIS product - same idea and concept but it’s a bit more affordable.
I’ll do a second part to this to answer more questions later on!
Don’t forget to check yesterdays post to enter to win Hunter Boots - I’m giving away two pair.