During NYFW, I had the opportunity to watch the TRESemmé stylists do so many fun, unique hairstyles. One that I went home and tried was this Beachy Wave. You guys know I am all about large, full curls – but I wanted to branch out and try something different. I am using some tips I learned from the stylist, while also putting a few of my personal touches.
1. When my hair is damp, I pump a dime size amount of the TRESemmé Max The Volume Lightweight Moisturizing Lotion into my hands and work it into my roots and work my way down until the product is completely gone. This is a good way to jumpstart the volume, if you want volume, but you can skip this step.
TIP: This isn’t really a step, but I keep a brush nearby to make sure my hair stays tangle free. The longer my hair gets – the quicker it gets tangled. (Using this brush.) I like to section my hair in half and start with the bottom most layers. If you have finer, thinner hair – you are in luck because you won’t need to section your hair in half & this will not take you long at all!
2. After you’ve brushed & sectioned your hair off, generously spray TRESemmé Perfectly (un)Done Sea Salt Spray into the first group of hair. This is a game changer – it gives the hair a matte, un-done texture.
3. Use a wand (I like this one) or a curling iron to start creating the wave. I am using a curling iron & keeping the clip pulled up. My barrel is 1″ which is what I like best for this look. The two images above are important because you can see that I am holding the barrel pointing DOWN & I am keeping the end straight (as opposed to wrapping it around the barrel.) Also, you can see I am doing medium sized sections – the bigger the section, the looser the wave. I left each section wrapped around the barrel for about 25 seconds.
4. Spray. Spray. Spray. I used TRESemmé Perfectly (un)Done Ultra Brushable Hold Hairspray because it is a lighter formula and allows for movement & less of a ‘frozen’ look. (Frozen stiff hair & beachy waves don’t mix!)
5. After letting down the rest of my hair, I generously spray more TRESemmé Perfectly (un)Done Sea Salt Spray. (It dries super quickly so you aren’t going to hear a frying sound.)
6. I use the same technique as above to complete the curls for the top layer. As you can see, I get the barrel pretty close to my scalp! I do have bangs (growing out), so I wanted to show you a close up of how I am wrapping the bangs. Finish the look with TRESemmé Perfectly (un)Done Ultra Brushable Hold Hairspray.
And that’s it. The above image is the left side after it is done! If your waves are a little too much, run your fingers through them to break them up.
If you are a voluminous kind of gal (as I am), you can grab a teasing brush (this one is my favorite) & give the crown of your head a boost. Personally, I have to have volume – it is more flattering on my face.
Oh, and since we are going beachy, I thought adding a small braid would be the perfect touch.
Fitz swears by Max The Volume, lol!
Thanks to TRESemmé, a product of Unilever, for sponsoring todays post.